Do You Own a Domain Name? 5 Basic Things You Should Know
Do you own a domain name? For those not in the know, iexposure.co.ke is an example of a domain name. At this day and age domain names have become a necessity, a dire part of our daily life, be it for business or individual purposes. Unknown to many domain holders, there are some details that would either make some processes easier or a living hell, details that you won’t be given.
- For instance, did you know when you register a domain name, your details should be included in the WHOIS You are the owner or Registrant of any domain names you register or transfer. This means you should have control of all aspects of the domain name including contact information, forwarding, name servers, etc. You can basically do anything you want including selling it or transferring it without anyone frustrating you.
- Another thing I often encounter is people interested in purchasing a domain name, but worrying they have to have a website. You don’t need to have a website to use a domain. You will have full functions of the domain, functions such as setting up your unique email accounts.
- This you probably knew; The domain name you choose must be unique, meaning the name shouldn’t be in use and more so, you should always choose a name that is easy to remember, bearing in mind the length of the domain name shouldn’t be too long. Generally domain names can be as short as 3 characters or as long as 63
- Another thing to note when registering domains is that they are not case sensitive. So, capitalizing words won’t have any effects. Domains also can’t include spaces.
- Lastly, cost of purchasing a domain is dependent on the domains extension namely .com .net .org .co.ke .ac.ke e.t.c and choosing the type of extension will depend on what your business offers and its target market. For instance, only institutions/schools can register a .ac.ke
So, those are some of the basic things to know when registering a domain (or to note if you have one) However, you don’t need to take up your valuable time trying to come up with a unique domain name for your business or looking up reliable web hosting services, we understand this could be a daunting task, instead, why not let us do it for you. Talk to us.